Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a disorder that can affect people of all ages. 10 to 15% of the population in the United States suffers from IBS symptoms. Studies show that stress, anxiety and IBS tend to co-exist; these triggers deplete the body of good intestinal bacteria which are beneficial for digestion. An imbalanced gut flora with high harmful bacteria level leads to a build-up of toxins and intestinal wastes that age and weaken the health of the intestines.
Although IBS is not life-threatening, its symptoms can be disabling to one’s lifestyle. A solution to relieve the symptoms of IBS can definitely improve your quality of life immensely.
Here are some tips that may be helpful to you:
- Chew food slowly and thoroughly. \t
- Stay away from heavy meals or excessive caffeine. \t
- Have regular meals everyday. \t
- Avoid delaying the urge to clear your bowels. \t
- Relax yourself to avoid straining while moving your bowels. \t
- Exercise regularly to promote good bowel function and reduce symptoms of anxiety.