Embarrassed by your bad breath? Fret not. Here we will provide you with 6 tips to get rid of that foul smell in your breath.
1. Maintain good dental hygiene. Plaque and trapped food particles cause bad breath. To keep your bad breath under control, you should brush with a fluoride toothpaste at least twice daily and floss at least once each day. Don’t forget to scrape your tongue once a day. Bacteria can grow on your tongue, producing a foul smell.
2. Avoid eating onions and garlic if you’re going for an important event. When these foods are digested, sulfur compounds are produced. They enter your bloodstream and travel to your lungs, which sour your breath.
3. Chew on fresh parsley leaves post-meal or add them to your vegetable juice. Parsley acts as a deodorizer, thanks to its rich chlorophyll content.
4. Eat 1 serving of plain, non-fat yogurt each day. The probiotics (good bacteria) in yogurt can combat bad breath effectively. A study has demonstrated that consuming yogurt for 6 weeks decreased bad breath in 80% of subjects.
5. Keep your mouth moist. The lack of saliva causes bacteria (which generate smelly compounds) to thrive. To stimulate the production of saliva, you should drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water daily and chew on sugarless gum or candy.
6. Quit smoking. Smoking can cause tooth stains, gum disease and bad breath.