Are you fully geared up for the flu season? Here’s 5 ways to give your immune system a boost to protect yourself from the flu.
1. You are what you eat.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C, including oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons, bell peppers, broccoli and spinach. Vitamin C is required for various immune system cells (e.g. phagocytes and T-cells) to carry out their tasks and a lack of it will increase your chances of getting sick.
- Eat foods high in vitamin E (e.g. sunflower seeds, almonds, hazelnuts and spinach). Vitamin E is a major antioxidant in your body that helps strengthen your immunity.
- Eat vitamin B6-rich foods, including tuna, chicken, avocado and pistachios. Vitamin B6 improves your immunity by increasing the production of antibodies (warriors that fight off infection).
- Take probiotics. Probiotics help boost your immunity. They improve the intestinal barrier function, reducing the likelihood of bacteria in your intestines getting into your bloodstream.
2. Quit smoking. Apart from causing inflammation and cellular damage, smoking also suppresses your immune system (as a result of tar and nicotine), elevating your risk of getting an infection.
3. Get moderate exercise regularly. Regular exercise helps improve your blood circulation, which enables your immune system’s cells to pass through your body effectively. This enhances the surveillance against pathogens.
*Avoid overtraining. Intensive exercise with the lack of recovery days suppresses your immunity.
4. Get sufficient sleep. Sleep deprivation lowers your T-cell (an essential immune cell) activity and decreases the antibodies produced.
5. Stress less, Laugh more. Stress increases the production of stress hormones that decreases your immunity and lowers your white blood cells that fight infection. As the old saying goes, laughter is the best medicine. Laughing reduces stress hormones and boosts white blood cells, which in turn increase your resistance to disease.
You may like:
AFC Vitamin C with Ginseng
Did you know that many vitamin C supplements deliver way more than what you require on a daily basis? What’s worse is that this overdose of vitamin C can cause adverse health effects, including kidney stones and digestive distress. It’s time for a change! Unlike other vitamin C supplements, AFC Vitamin C with Ginseng comes in small tablets, a perfect dosage suitable for all Asians. A blend of vitamins infused with Korean Ginseng Extract, it provides an immunity boost and powerful antioxidant protection, making it the most effective for individuals with weakened immunity.
LABO FloraGenesis Ultra-Wellness
Containing 50 billion live probiotics from 15 diverse strains, FloraGenesis Ultra-Wellness is developed with a patented 5-layer microencapsulation technology that protects the viable probiotics from heat, gastric acid and intestinal bile, thereby increasing their survival rate by over 600 times. This ensures that the probiotics are effectively delivered to the intestinal tract for optimal efficacy and colonisation. FloraGenesis Ultra-Wellness provides a wide array of health benefits e.g. supports healthy immune functions, good gastrointestinal health, cardiovascular health and more.